Google Docs are some of the most useful documents to use freely on the internet. You can use programmes similar to Microsoft Word, Excel and Powerpoint that can be worked on collaboratively and easily shared. You also have the opportunity to use Google Forms.
The uses for forms and documents like this pretty much endless, and sere we’ll look at how to create a competition form in Google Docs using Google Forms. This can then be hosted on your website, social media account or within an email.
To start, login to your Google Account and click the App Launcher. You’ll see a list of available apps to work with. Click Forms. (Tip. If you don’t see the app you are looking for, click More to view all Google Apps)
Alternatively, you can go to Google and search for Google Docs. The top option will be the one to select. If you do not have a Google account, then you will need to set one up before we get started…
Once you have signed in, you will be welcomed with this screen below
1. Click on the forms tab at the top of the screen.
2. Click the Go to Google Forms button in the centre of the screen.
3. Here you will see the option to Start a new form, select Blank.
4. Name your new form and add a description for anyone using your form. You can see my example below.
5. Below the name of the form insert your competition question, this will normally be multiple choice so make sure the multiple choice box is selected.
6. Try to make the question relatively simple so that more people are likely to enter the competition. Make sure the Required button at the bottom is purple so that people have got to answer.
7. On the right hand side select the + box and add question.
8. You now want to add a number of short answer questions to obtain information such as name, location, age, gender and contact details such as email address and postcode.
9. I can be good practice in a form like this to make sure that you make each of the questions to be mandatory as this data is really important for you as a business.
10. Unless you have it in your terms and conditions that anyone entering the competition agrees to be added to your mailing list, you will need to have a consent option to be able to communicate with people who enter the competition. To do this you need to add a check box question on the right hand side and write similar to the below. This should not be a mandatory question as some people will want to leave this tick box unchecked.
So there you have it, you have now created your first competition form to be used on your website, social media and through email campaigns. These promotions are extremely useful in finding out more about your social media audience and for obtaining personal information to add to your marketing databases going forward. Next time we show you how to embed this competition form onto your website, email or social media pages….